Back to topics
Special or reserved propertiesUpdated Dec. 11, 2013
Special properties for events
- ipthe ip address of the client. If distinct_id is not present, this will be used for uniqueness.
- mp_name_tagThis is used to give your users real names in the streams feed so you can watch users more easily.
- mp_noteThis is the only property available in streams. It is not available in other reports.
- tokenThe token used to associate data you send Mixpanel to your account and project.
- timeA unix time epoch that is used to determine the time of an event.
- $initial_referrerThe first referrer the user came from ever.
- $initial_referring_domainThe first referring domain the user came from ever.
- $search_engineThe search engine a user came from.
- mp_keywordThe search keyword the user used to get to your website.
- $osThe operating system of the user.
- $browserThe browser of the user.
- $referrerThe current referrer of the user.
- $referring_domainThe current referring domain of the user.
- mp_country_codeA two letter country code representing the geolocation of the user.
Special properties for Mixpanel People records
- $emailThe user's email address. You must set this property if you want to send users email from Mixpanel People.
- $ios_devicesList of user's Apple Push Notification service device tokens for iOS push. Our iOS client library has methods to manage this property for you.
- $android_devicesList of user's Google Cloud Messaging registration IDs for Android push. Our Android client library has methods to manage this property for you.
- $first_name, $last_name, $nameUser's first and last names and screen name. These are primarily useful because we will use them, if available, in a few spots in our reports.
Limitations on Property Names
Pick your property names wisely. Once you've sent them to Mixpanel, there is no way to change them. Feel free to use capitalization and spaces in between words.
There are a few limitations:
- Your property names should not begin with $ or mp_. These properties are reserved for special properties sent by Mixpanel.
- Your property names cannot begin or end with a space as they will automatically be trimmed.
- Your property names cannot be longer than 255 characters. In practice they should be much shorter than that. It gets cut off by our user interface at about 20 characters.